February 18, 2009

DC DMH: Oversight Hearing TOMORROW!

We've been focusing here on the blog about the upcoming changes to the Department of Mental Health, which is preparing to close the DC Community Services Agency by March 30, 2010, transitioning thousands of mentally ill DC residents into private care.

"[T]he restructuring will ultimately be for the better," I wrote in my first post, but qualified that in my second:

There will need to be vigilant oversight, continued support for consumers and private providers, and DMH will need to be flexible on dates if private sector capacity cannot expand in time to meet the current deadlines.
But you don't just have to take my word for it.

If you want to learn about all the changes yourself, join me tomorrow (Thursday, February 19) at 10 am in the Wilson Building (1350 Pennsylvania Ave, NW) for the Committee on Health's Oversight Hearing. It should be enlightening! I'll report back here on the blog next week...

No comments: