September 9, 2009

New Guy, Old Pictures

Hi! My name is Erin Garnaas-Holmes, and I’m the new Volunteer Coordinator here at Bread for the City. I just started a yearlong stint with the Lutheran Volunteer Corps.

I’ve been spending my time getting to know the (really great!) people around here, figuring out the way things work in my position, as well as learning a bit of Bread for the City’s history. Greg showed me some old photos that were just discovered -- from way back when Bread for the City was just a food pantry partnering with the neighboring Zacchaeus Free Clinic, located in a basement apartment on N Street.

Back then (1980s through 1994), Bread for the City was experiencing dramatic growth, and the number of people it served each month grew from less than 1,000 to more than 3,000. To meet the growing need, BFC opened satellite sites throughout Northwest and Southeast DC, distributing food and clothing from places like a loaned church basement, many of which were provided by Luther Place Church. In 1991, BFC and Zacchaeus Free Clinic started looking for a space to move in together, and purchased the abandoned lumber warehouse that is now our Northwest center at 1525 7th Street in the Shaw neighborhood.

Check out the full Flickr set of pictures from the late 80's and 90's here (and be sure to read the captions for more info!) or the slideshow below.



If I've learned anything since starting, it is that Bread for the City is a very efficient, growing and vibrant organization that has been doing good work for DC's vulnerable residents for a long time. I can already see the shape of big plans to do even more in the future. I'm excited to be here, and to help work towards that future!

If you'd like to learn more about opportunities to volunteer, please contact me.

No comments: