December 23, 2009

Photo Shoot! Holiday Portraits Too

Here's the second installment of our new annual tradition: a holiday photo shoot!

Free printed portraits are currently making their way through the mail to our participating clients - a great way to give these families some special holiday cheer. See the full sets here and here. (Many thanks to our good friend Steve Goldenberg for making it all happen!)

Susan Berger

Susan Berger: "I was misdiagnosed so many times before they discovered that I had MS. It was giving me such trouble at work, where I was a technical training manager at Cablevision. So of course I lost job and my insurance -- and came here. That was almost 17 years ago!

Since then, this has been where I go first to get help. I've seen the best and I've seen the worst - and Bread for the City is better than any hospital. Bread for the City helped me even get my Social Security Disability Insurance, after I'd been denied. Could you believe they'd deny someone with MS? Well you helped fix that.

Now I'm a full-time student at the Art Institute in Rosslyn. I look forward to working with you all."

Susan Berger & Gloria Sivels

Gloria Berger (Susan's sister): "I received legal assistance from you all during my divorce. I was trying to keep my house and I didn't know what legal rights I had -- I was hearing all kinds of things and didn't know what to do. Bread for the City lawyers helped me figure out what I needed to get started. Recently, I've come back here for information about job training programs."

Gerand Clark

Gerald Clark uses our resource center to find employment leads, and receives referrals from our medical clinic. In the past, he's worked as a medical correspondent at Walter Reed, a cook, and a laborer with Clark Construction.

Jeremiah Clark

We provided Jeremiah Clark with assistance in attaining Medicaid.

Mary Hampton

Mary Hampton has volunteered for Bread for the City for about six years. Before we had the pleasure of her assistance in our clothing room, she worked at Hecht's (later Macy's) until her retirement. Mary says: "You can always come to Bread for the City, if you have any problem."

See the full portrait sets here and here. And tune in tomorrow for another installment!

Thanks to Julia Eddy and Amy Johnson for helping make this all happen!

1 comment:

Mari said...

These are wonderfully artistic and the captions are good too.