Bread for the City seeks a full-time Benefits Coordinator to work in our Representative Payee Program.
The Benefits Coordinator serves as the program’s liaison to the Social Security Administration and advocates on behalf of clients in order to maintain their eligibility for disability benefits. The ideal candidate has strong organizational skills and attention to detail as well as strong interpersonal skills allowing her/him to develop a strong working relationship with our contacts at the Social Security Administration, mental health professionals, and our clients. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload without dropping the ball. This position is an excellent opportunity to develop an expertise in public policy as it relates to Social Security Disability benefits, Supplemental Security Income eligibility, Representative Payee responsibilities, and other public benefit programs.
About Bread for the City
Bread for the City is a dynamic non-profit organization whose mission is to provide vulnerable residents of Washington, DC, with comprehensive services, including food, clothing, medical care, and legal and social services, in an atmosphere of dignity and respect. The Representative Payee Program provides services to consumers with chronic mental illness in collaboration with the DC Department of Mental Health and its Core Service Agencies. As an Organizational Payee we provide on-going support to 800 clients by managing their monthly income to cover expenses such as rent, utilities, food, transportation and personal needs on the basis of individualized budget plans and fulfill the reporting requirements of the Social Security Administration to maintain each client’s benefit eligibility.
- Serve as the program’s liaison to the Social Security Administration to monitor and maintain clients’ eligibility for disability benefits.
- Develop and implement expertise in the area of Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disability Income eligibility and other related benefits (Medicaid, Medicare, etc.).
- Coordinate with Representative Payee Program staff and clients’ mental health providers to develop information and documentation regarding changes in clients’ situations that may impact eligibility.
- Maintain a rigorous organizational system to track all reporting activities and outstanding issues.
- Excellent time management skills, including demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects and set priorities to meet deadlines
- The aptitude to develop and maintain a deep understanding of the eligibility criteria and policies related to various federal and local public benefit programs
- The ability to work independently and solve problems creatively
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with diverse populations, as well as superior written and oral communication skills
- Outstanding computer skills, including the capacity to use Microsoft Office and learn other programs to manage a high volume of detailed information and responsibilities
- A commitment to providing services in an atmosphere of dignity and respect
- Previous knowledge of Social Security Administration benefits and the responsibilities of a Representative payee or other District of Columbia public benefits
- Experience working with populations with chronic mental illness
Bread for the City is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibility, physical or mental disability, medical condition, status as a veteran, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.
Bread for the City offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including health and dental insurance coverage, vacation and sick leave, and a highly supportive working environment.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Susanne Horn, Representative Payee Program Manager, at Bread for the City at shorn [AT] breadforthecity [DOT] org with Benefits Coordinator Opening in the subject line. No telephone inquiries please.